The Weird Kid

Sunday, September 28, 2008

An Idiot Holds Forth

While we were dating, I told Sean, a political science BA, and I didn't care much about politics. This might have been our last conversation ever, because Sean, 26, fresh from his mother's basement at the time, (before he bloomed into the remarkable husband he is now, of course) responded by snorting over the phone, and saying "Did you know that the original meaning of the word "idiot" means 'one who is ignorant of politics?'"

I think a much more clever definition of idiot is "saying something stupid enough to give your wife ammunition against you for the rest of her life."

"Honey, I don't want to spend our 50th anniversary in Antarctica."
"Really? That's interesting. I guess I'm an idiot for suggesting it. Remember that time you called me an idiot?"

But today I have something of political import.

Why can't you just like your political candidate? Why are Americans in the grip of this pulsing blood-lust to make the opposing candidate look like an evil slobbering retard? Stop sending me hi-larious email forwards about how dumb Sarah Palin is or how crooked Obama is.

Fact is, I will not believe either is evil or either is stupid. Stop insisting one is. I don't care if Alaska has tiny population and she was only Governor for 20 months, you still can't get to that position by being a vacant retard. And if Obama says the country has turned him into their great beautiful hope, maybe he has a god complex but, well, his supporters..I've met them and they want to wash the man's feet with their hair. Have you seen all those posters?

And in the big picture, I don't think they're all that different. Neither one is going to do their damnedest to destroy our country, neither will end useless foreign wars, both will be at the mercy of many blessed checks and balances, and both are the slightly creepy kind of people who want to be in charge of other people.

So what's with all the anger and smugitude?



*And for the record, I'm still voting Ron Paul. He's different. Too different, I guess.



posted by Imez at 9:16 PM

8 Comments:

Ron Paul. Not quasi-weird enough, just weird.

I hate politics, so why am I in a class that discusses politics? Plegh!

September 29, 2008 at 6:06 AM  

miss- what's "quasi-weird enough?"

September 29, 2008 at 7:53 AM  

I think the answer to your question (if I understand it correctly) of why it isn't enough to love our candidate without the need to attack the opposing candidate(s) is because there is SO MUCH at stake in this election. It's a very, very tight race; literally each vote counts and whichever party wins can and will make changes that are going to DEEPLY affect each and every one of us voters/average citizens. If you feel strongly about protecting what matters to you (be it limiting taxes in order to keep more of your money or your right to choose abortion or whatever), we must encourage people to THINK and to seriously weigh what each candidate is going to bring to the table and how it is going to affect each of us. I wish it didn't matter so much, but it does. I could certainly do without the bashing and mindless "jokes"...but I'm all for educating people so that they can make informed decisions.

September 29, 2008 at 9:18 AM  

I have no clue. It just sounded good at the time before I had a cup of coffee. Lack of caffeine does stupid things to people.

September 29, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

Bravo, on all fronts. Especially in your choice of husband-- he sounds like my kind of guy.

But still, I would totally use that line, too.

September 29, 2008 at 2:46 PM  

I get really het up when Jim says he hates politics, because it seems terribly short-sighted to me. But really, he just means the phenomena you describe. He hates the fervor and the righteousness and lack of open-mindedness that accompany the mass approach to politics. But he's throwing the baby out with the shit-stained bathwater, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, I'm not trying to sway your vote in any way, but my hackles raise when I hear people disdainful of Obama supporters. Just because those freaked out under-sexed girls used to scream and pass out in front of The Beatles, it doesn't mean they weren't a good band.

September 29, 2008 at 4:00 PM  

Amen. As much as I may dislike, disagree with or love to death any of our leaders or candidates, I think it is ignorant, arrogant oversimplification when people insist in only seeing in black and white and smugly insisting that anyone who disagrees with "their" political perspective is evil, stupid etc. Thank you for articulating what I have been feeling-

September 29, 2008 at 4:38 PM  

I don't remember how I found your blog. I guess that means I'm an idiot! ;)
I just wanted to say, my hubby and I are voting for Ron Paul too. Go Ron!!

September 29, 2008 at 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

net traffic statistics
AllOnlineCoupons.co.uk