The Weird Kid

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Tales of the Enchanted Ball Pit


I am not in this picture. But please to note the staggering awesomeness of my television. THAT, my friends, is a genuine DVD player sitting beneath it. Don't be embarrassed if you haven't heard of it. It is a relatively new technology. Oh yeah.

Jesus God. Babies. Babies everywhere. The air thick with the breath of babies.

The trick, I have been told, to a successful party, is the guest list. Inviting people who will help their hostess by entertaining each other. This works well with toddlers. They stand face to face and scream laughter. "I see you have a nose. I also have a nose. NOSES!!!"

A ball pit helps, too.

Their parents, that complicates. I only know so many people with babies, and they don't much know each other. Despite mostly similar backgrounds and interests, they didn't talk much. I circulated among the parents, holding 8 loose conversations at once. I don't know if the parents had fun. But I like to believe I get credit for entertaining their babies as lavishly as I could afford (plastic balls in a kiddie pool, goldfish crackers, wine coolers).

I was grateful to my mother, who knows no such thing as social discomfort, projecting her perpetual cheer from my couch. Today, driving my mother toward her home, she was pinching and swirling the air looking for a word. "Your friends are...they're..." she exhaled, then mumbled a word.

I turned to her. "Did you just say, 'high-faluting'? Did you just call the parents at the party, 'high-faluting'?" And I laughed. Really, really hard, because I have never head that word used in earnest.

She didn't mean it insulting, just didn't know a good synonym for "librarians".

Ah but I was flattered. I have worked so hard, so long, to be considered at home in a high faluting crowd. My next goal is to personally achieve high faluting status, for myself.

I think my DVD player is a magnificent first step.
posted by Imez at 9:19 PM

9 Comments:

i bet the babies will sleep well after those wine coolers!!

November 2, 2008 at 9:04 PM  

I'm beginning to rethink this baby thing. My mother warned me of the fabled biological clock tick. Suddenly I think drool and tiny socks are as cute as a basket of kittens

November 3, 2008 at 5:46 AM  

God bless your little high-falutin' heart. The first kid's party I had for my son, I let Chuck E. Cheese take care of the details.

November 3, 2008 at 6:59 AM  

You, my friend, are the epitome of high faluting.

November 3, 2008 at 10:28 PM  

You are hilarious. I love the way you write. Thanks.

November 4, 2008 at 7:31 PM  

NOSES!!!

Funny post, thanks for the laughs.

Also, regarding your more recent posts, I don't know what to say, haven't been here long enough to understand, but hope you're feeling better soon.

November 7, 2008 at 3:26 AM  

ps why does blogger never know what time it is? i am not commenting in the wee hours of the morning. it is a perfectly reasonable 6:30am-ish. (i don't know why it's so important that you know i'm not reading your blog in the middle of the night, but there you go.)

November 7, 2008 at 3:28 AM  

ps oh, duh, PST. i'll stop now, sorry!

November 7, 2008 at 3:28 AM  

Oh, the parents. What tricky, tricky ground.

November 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

net traffic statistics
AllOnlineCoupons.co.uk