The Weird Kid

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Reason #eleventy-billion I have social problems.

We took Smudge to Sean's library, that big beautiful college castle, to try and show off her Pretty Pirate Princess number, red skulls woven into cheap black lace, at their employee Halloween party. She hated her itchy dress and refused to sparkle for onlookers. She kept up the doleful howling, pulling the black-laced bodice away from her skin. She also refused to carry the battle ax we bought her. All in all she was a sorry excuse for The Teeny Queenie of Blood.

At the door we met Sean's favorite co-worker, who is a woman, but has the decency to be a lesbian so as to avoid any strained feelings. She had canceled their plans to have a beer last weekend. She was sick.

I inquired to her health. She said she was better and kept talking, saying things that were plenty appropriate and convivial. I assume. I don't remember. I just remember registering her feeling better as a good, comforting thing. Sean probably won't come home sick, then.

That is when I looked at the elevator and thought, "There is an elevator. I'm going to want to be on that." And started walking toward it.

She was still talking. Had been, facing me and everything. But I had gotten my answer. I was done. My brain quit of her. And I swear I even like her.

She gave a small startled reflex and turned to keep up with me as I walked away. I caught myself after only two steps, tried to play it off like I was chasing Smudge (who was securely in her father's arms....lord) but what is wrong with me? I often miss huge chunks of what people say to me because I decide it is extraneous. I'm such a selfish little frig!

Sometimes I feel like I'm a mind-reader, all the time I spend analyzing and prying at people. And I predict nothing more of value is going to come from an interaction, so, surely they're done too. Right? That's really assholic.

Anyway. Happy election day. I fucking hate politics. I'm done.
posted by Imez at 3:58 PM

6 Comments:

I ask people questions to be polite and then tune out their answers because I'm already on my next line of focus. Then, I look like a real asshole when I ask the exact same question again the next day. Like, "so what are you getting into this weekend?" or some shit. I am self absorbed. Join the club!!

November 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM  

So, you can't be bothered with social skills sometimes, huh? Too funny. Stuff happens, right? :)

November 4, 2008 at 7:29 PM  

I've had to say, more than once, "oops, sorry, I zoned out on you for a minute there". More often than not, I just don't have anything to say. Small talk is an art form, a skill which I rarely possess.

November 5, 2008 at 6:31 AM  

Hey, where is the comment thing for the latest posts?

You are not failing. Breath.

Oh, my friend we may think too much, but we can do it.

Holding on with you.

November 6, 2008 at 7:03 PM  

Hey, where is the comment thing for the latest posts?

You are not failing. Breath.

Oh, my friend we may think too much, but we can do it.

Holding on with you.

November 6, 2008 at 7:03 PM  

email me babe

November 8, 2008 at 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

net traffic statistics
AllOnlineCoupons.co.uk