The Weird Kid

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Oh, they'll slip right through that.

Reverend Lovejoy: "Get a divorce."
Marge Simpson: "But isn't that a sin?"
Reverend Lovejoy (holding a bible): "Marge, just about everything is a sin. Y'ever sat down and read this thing? Technically, we're not allowed to go to the bathroom."



Went to Kate's place and got to thinking. This video started me off.

See more Jack Black videos at Funny or Die



Okay, seen it? Now read what I havc to say about it.


Now, I used to embrace the sweet slippery flesh of Christian logic, so I would like to warn you. The "pick and choose" aspect of Christianity put forth in the video? That argument about shellfish and stoning your wife, wouldn't hold up when arguing with a Christian. All those wild crazy-beautiful rules were put forth in the Old Testament. Most Christians believe (for some damn reason) that Jesus did away with those thousands of rules upon his death, when the curtain of the Most Holy of Holies in the Temple was rent in twain.

Oh yes it was. Rent.

In twain.

(Side note...guess which side of Jesus's death the Ten Commandments sits on? OLD Testament? Jesus' death did away with the Ten Commandments? So I can have sex with my neighbor's wife after killing him while worshipping a golden goat and swearing all on the Sabbath Day? What, no? The Commandments weren't done away with but...everything else...was...and...oh but God you are a tricky devil.

Now, to be sure, Faggy-acity was condemned in both Old and New Testaments.

So, here. Better tuck this in your belt if ever you find yourself red-faced and desperately trying to shriek logic into someone's theology. This is from the New Testament, the one that apparently still applies.

"As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." I Corinthians 14: 33-35

Shut-up bitch. Go fix me a Turkey Pot Pie.

Now, rather than admitting they or their good lady wife aren't allowed to speak in church, the Christian will then argue that the time the letter to the Corinthians was written must be considered, the context. Which will give you the lucky opportunity to say, because you, like me, are sharp and witty and oh so right, "I agree totally. I'm so happy homosexuality's time has come."

But you will not win the argument. Because facts, honestly, are hopeless in the face of faith.


Anyway this isn't about facts.
posted by Imez at 9:16 PM

5 Comments:

I think we would be really good friends if we met in real life.

December 4, 2008 at 9:59 AM  

I'm not going to attempt to give a rebuttal, because you're clearly exasperated with Christians' inability to accept "fact" and "logic."

All I can say, is that not all Christians believe homosexuals are an abomination who deserve to die. Not all of us think that we are somehow less of a sinner because we are "straight." Some of us are willing to examine the inconsistencies in the Bible in a way that doesn't discredit God, but the men who made it. Because, unfortunately, some of us can't deny our overwhelming belief in the Creator.

But I won't bog you down with my theology.

December 4, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 4, 2008 at 3:18 PM  

princess- we'll have to work on seeing that is true

alyssa- Huh. Angry, and not based on anything I actually wrote.

Maybe I was not clear.

I agree with everything you said there, about Christian's individuality, and my post doesn't contradict you.

Be angry at what I write, good, good for the blood, but here I didn't even write the things you're angry at.

How depressing.

December 4, 2008 at 3:23 PM  

I thought my previous comment did align with what you wrote. Maybe I didn't understand your post.

I didn't think I was angry, but reading it back, perhaps I was. And you're right, the anger that I felt wasn't towards you or your argument. But it's also not about God or Christianity. If I were to place the source of the anger, I think it arises more from the overwhelming contempt from people (both of and not of faith) to me. Or rather, my interpretation that they're contempting me.

December 5, 2008 at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

net traffic statistics
AllOnlineCoupons.co.uk